How to Play Furoticon on Webcam

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
captainbozo
Endowed

How to Play Furoticon on Webcam

Post by captainbozo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:57 pm

How to Play Furoticon Over Webcam
-A Beginner's Guide-

So you have your first Furoticon starter deck now! Congratulations! Maybe you played a few games at a Furoticon event, or you purchased a deck from our website, ready to dive into the community. At this point, you're likely wondering, “Where's all the other Furoticon players?” The answer is: All around you, playing matches over webcam!

To play a game of Furoticon over webcam, you will need the following items:

1. Furoticon Cards, at least enough to make a legal deck
2. A webcam of decent quality
3. Skype, or another web chat client

After these items have been acquired, you are ready to begin!

Part 1: Setting up your Playing Field.

The first thing you should do is ensure that your playing field is set up in a clean and clear manner. In my example below, I am using a playing mat, but this is not required. All that you need to do is to ensure that you have a wide, open area that you can place approximately 5-6 cards across in.

Something I would like to point out about my setup: There is a silver bar from the upper level of my desk moving across the playing field. This is excusable because it doesn't block much, but as a rule, you want to avoid blocking the playing field as much as possible.

Notice that I have plenty of room to play my cards, and that the entire playing area is clean of debris. The lighting is enough to see the card pictures clearly, so that we can see what the individual cards are. We aren't able to see the text on the cards, but that's okay, because we will be constantly referencing the Card Spoiler on the Furoticon website to reference rules.

I have included two examples of poor lighting, so that you can adjust your cameras accordingly:

Too Much:

Too Little:

If you are having problems with lighting, I recommend a lamp and a webcam that can automatically adjust to lighting.

Part 2: Webcam Match Etiquette

A unique part of playing via webcam is that there is a chance that the other person cannot hear what you are saying, or doesn't have a mic. To get around this, all actions are declared in chat. At the beginning of your turn, state your AP and GP totals after the Refill step. Example:

Code: Select all

Player 1: 10mm
What this means is 10 AP, and 2 Male GP. If you have a mixed gender point (such as one produced by the haven Co-ed Dorm), you can represent it with the following:

Player 1: 10mm m/f
Which means 10 AP, 2 Male GP, and 1 Male or Female GP. Anytime this total changes, update the log to reflect the change. For example, if you choose to spend 1 AP during the Refresh step, you would follow up with:

Player 1: 9mm m/f
This reflects that you have spent 1 AP, and now you have 9 AP remaining. Finally, lets play a card. To play a card, simply place it on the field in front of you, and state its name, followed by your updated AP and GP totals, like so:

Player 1: Boss Gator
Player 1: 0 m/f
[card]Boss Gator[/card] costs 9mm to play. Mixed GP are usually best spent last, so that leaves 0 AP and 1 Male/Female GP left to work with. To end your turn, you can state that you're ending your turn in the chat, or simply say “EOT”, which means End of Turn.

When you enter bed, you have to declare that you are entering bed, to allow the opponents time to react. To declare that you're entering bed, just state that you are doing so. After the opponent has a chance to react, you can state which Furres you are swinging with, followed by the new AP and GP totals. See the following example:

Player 1: Entering Bed
Player 1: Swing with Boss Gator and Boss Gator
Player 1: 8mm m/f
There's a bed declaration, which the opponents had a chance to react to. Afterwards, there was a clear swing declaration, followed by the remaining AP and GP the player has. Declare furres that are putting out the same way. You can decide which furres pleasure which other furres the same way you would in person, just mention which ones are targetting which in the chat:

Player 1: Entering Bed
Player 1: Swing with Boss Gator and Boss Gator
Player 1: 8mm m/f

Player 2: Put out with Cotton Martine
Player 2: Cotton Martine pleasures the first Boss Gator
Player 2: 4ff
The most important part of these logs are: stating the cards being played, and the running AP/GP totals. The rest of the game can be played over mic, as long as the remaining info is in the log, then everything is fine. The chat method allows for games to be played without microphones and speakers, however, so keep that in mind when playing against another player who is only using the chat! He might not hear you!

Part 3: Official Webcam Rules

Webcam rules are enforced during official Furoticon events, and are recommended during personal matches. All the rules of Furoticon itself apply, plus the following:

Rule 1: You must submit your full 40-card (plus Owner if there is a custom owner) decklist to the official host at least 30 minutes before the match starts.

This rule serves two purposes: When the hosts review the play logs, they will be looking for cards that are played illegally. Any card played that is not in the original decklist will result in a disqualification.

Rule 2: All moves need to be recorded in the chat as they are made. Additionally, At the end of your turn (and whenever asked), you must let your opponent know your remaining AP and GP

This sounds intimidating, but it's really not that hard. See Part 2 for more details.

Rule 3: You must have a webcam that can easily display all the cards that you have in play.

If we can't see all the cards that are in play, then we can't ensure that the game is being played honestly.

Rule 4: Your hand must remain visible at all times.

Of course this means the back of the cards, not the fronts. This ensures that no cards are being added to the hand off camera. When you need to put down your cards, put them down so that the other players can see them, like so:

Rule 5: The deck must be shuffled in view of the player. After it is shuffled, it cannot leave the field of vision.

Simple enough. This is to prevent deck alterations while the game is in progress. If the deck leaves the field of vision, you will be disqualified.

Rule 6: If someone asks a question regarding either a card's stats or your stats, you must be truthful.

Intentionally misrepresenting either yourself or a card for your own advantage is grounds for a match loss. Repeated offenses will result in being banned from participating in official Furoticon events.

Rule 7: Use dice or another visible method to keep track of a Furre's stamina.

This is a handy indicator that allows the opponent to see the Furre's stamina. If the number on the dice isn't clear, then ask the opponent. They will tell you what stamina the furre is at.

Rule 8: Be fair, and practice good sportsmanship.

Do not harass the other players. Do not yell, repeatedly insult the other player or generally prevent fair gameplay. This creates an unfun environment for everyone, and the main goal is to have fun.

Rule 9: If your deck includes 1st Vanilla cards, the cards in your deck will have to be in opaque card sleeves.

1st Vanilla cards were cut larger than the later sets. In order to use them in official events, all your cards must be in sleeves to keep gameplay honest.

Rule Addendum: Additional rules may apply on a match-by-match basis.

This includes time limits, deck limits, and other variations. In these events, those rules will apply, and breaking these rules will result in disqualification.

===

Any comments are appreciated! Questions are welcome as well, and will be posted in the main post with the answer for others to find them!

Happy gaming!

===

QUESTIONS

Q: Where can I find other players to play against?

A: Check out our chat! Lately it has been empty, but stick around! Leave the tab open in the background! Or you could make a post on the forum asking for others to play with online! Don't be shy, if you wanna play, ask around!

Bozo's Furo Store! Rare cards no one else offers! http://furoticon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1760

Seppel
Site Admin

Re: How to Play Furoticon on Webcam

Post by Seppel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:04 am

This is a great resource for anyone who wants to play via webcam! I've stickied this topic (plus, I fixed a rule about mixed GP). ;)

If at all possible, it might also be useful to set up your cam so everything isn't upside-down to your opponent, but this is strictly player preference -- I do like the feeling of playing across from my opponent, and upside-down cards gives that feeling. :)
:tanrare: Seppel

Zeneth_Starr
Coy

Post by Zeneth_Starr » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:43 am

I'm plannING to get a Webcam soon, partly to be able to play online.

captainbozo
Endowed

Post by captainbozo » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:44 am

Great :D I would love to play sometime :3

Bozo's Furo Store! Rare cards no one else offers! http://furoticon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1760

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:23 pm

I just thought of a few questions...

Stating your AP and GP:

Question 1:
When stating your GP and AP values, how do you state multiple mixed GP of the same type?

A) 10 m/f m/f
B) 10 2m/f
C) 10 m/f2
D) 10 mm/ff
Question 2:
When stating your GP and AP, do you need a space between all GP types, or just before and after mixed GP types.
For example:

A) 10mmfo h/o
B) 10mm f o h/o
Also, for consistencies sake, should there always be a space between AP and GP values?

10m (bad) -> 10 m (good)
Owners' stamina:

Question 3:
How do you track a player's stamina? Via chat when you receive pleasure? Or is it legal to track stamina by using dice/other visual methods?
Last edited by Astrid Varelse on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talk about Furoticon on Discord!

Also, visit my trading thread

captainbozo
Endowed

Post by captainbozo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Question 1: The answer is A. You would state "m/f m/f"
Question 2: That is your preference. You can tell which is which without spaces due to the format, but spaces would be preferred.
Question 3: Just state it however you prefer. I personally state "My SP: 45/50" where 45 is current, and 50 is max SP.

I hope that helps!

Shadow_Bromide
Coy

Post by Shadow_Bromide » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:56 am

I would love to play, just I don't have any strong decks and would like a mentor to help guide me on creating something, I currently have an all otter deck, but I feel it has a lack of actual strength sometimes.