Tournament layout?

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
Kiba_keebs
Coy

Tournament layout?

Post by Kiba_keebs » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:31 pm

So how are tournaments usually going to work? Will they all be strictly multiplayer free for all events, or will there be one on one... something, maybe single elimination, and get a ranking that way?

Seppel
Site Admin

Re: Tournament layout?

Post by Seppel » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Convention Tournaments
All convention tournaments are for 8 - 24 players.

1) Constructed

Deck: You bring your own customized 40-card deck (or we lend you a starter deck). Your deck may have at most 3 copies of any card, except Home Havens, which are unlimited.
Stamina: Players start with 50 :sp: .

2) Multiplayer Free-for-all

Deck: You bring your own customized 40-card deck (or we lend you a starter deck). Your deck may have at most 3 copies of any card, except Home Havens, which are unlimited.
Tables: Players are seated at tables of no more than 6 players. If there are 7 or more players, tables may be divided evenly. Each table is considered a separate tournament.
Stamina: Players start with 50 :sp: .

2a) Beginner

Deck: You pick out a minideck and play one 4-player free-for-all game.
Tables: Players are seated at tables of 4 players (tables of 3 or 5 are acceptable in the case of uneven player numbers). Each table is considered a separate tournament.
Stamina: Players start with 25 :sp: .

3) Draft

Deck: You make your own 20-card deck from the cards you "draft" at the event. Each player will be given three booster packs. All players open one pack at the same time (remove the front, back, and Home Haven - those are yours to keep). Each player takes one card from their pack, and (once everyone has picked one card) passes the pack to the player to the left. Continue this until there are no more cards in the pack. Then open the second pack and do the same thing, but players pass the packs to the right. The third pack is passed to the left again. After that, using the 27 cards you "drafted" and unlimited Home Havens, create a 20-card deck to play with. (Note: In between rounds, you may modify your deck with any of the cards your drafted, plus Home Havens.)

4) Sealed

Deck: You make your own 20-card deck from 50 randomized cards that are provided for you at the event. Additional Home Havens are provided if necessary.

---

TOURNAMENT STRUCTURE

All tournaments last 3 rounds (or 2 rounds in the case of time constraints, except for multiplayer tournaments, which last 1 round. Everyone may play in all rounds. There is 1 game per round.

A player may concede a game or drop out of a tournament at any time.

Each round lasts 40 minutes.

If time runs out before a game is over, the player with the highest stamina ( :sp: ) is the winner. If both players have the same stamina, the round is a draw (See "Scoring" for more info).

PAIRING

For the first round, players are paired randomly for 1v1 matches.

In subsequent rounds, players are paired up against an opponent who has the same score (or close enough). Start with the highest scores and work your way down. Any ties in score are paired randomly.

Do not pair players who have already played each other. If this happens, pair the top player with the next player down on the score list.

If there is an odd number of players, the player with the lowest score is given a "bye," which means that player does not play in that round, but gets 3 points.

SCORING

Scoring for Constructed, Sealed, and Draft:
• A player who gets a "bye" (see below) gets 3 points.
• A player who wins normally gets 3 points.
• A player who wins by having the most SP gets 2 points.
• A player who loses by having the least SP gets 1 point.
• A player who draws gets 1 point.
• A player who loses normally gets 0 points.

Scoring for Multiplayer Free-for-all:
• A player (or team) who defeats another player gets 3 points.
• All other surviving players / teams get 1 point.
• The last player or team standing at the end of the game gets 3 additional points.
• If the game ends in a draw, all remaining players / teams get 3 points.

RANKING

After all rounds have ended, players are ranked. 1st place is given to the player with the most points, and so on. If there is a tie, all players with the same score are ranked evenly.

PRIZES

Prizes are determined by the tournament organizer.
• Each player keeps all cards obtained from Draft, Sealed, and Beginner events.
:tanrare: Seppel

Kiba_keebs
Coy

Post by Kiba_keebs » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks a lot Seppel :aww: :sp:

Blaze Moonshadow
Tease

Post by Blaze Moonshadow » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:31 pm

That third one, the draft, that sounds... interesting. So all players attending get three boosters worth of cards? Do we get to keep these cards? Does that lessen the prize? It sounds difficult, but definitely interesting...

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Blaze Moonshadow wrote:That third one, the draft, that sounds... interesting. So all players attending get three boosters worth of cards? Do we get to keep these cards? Does that lessen the prize? It sounds difficult, but definitely interesting...
Yes, you get to keep the cards you draft!

Prizes will be based on whether we supply the booster packs or players purchase them for the event. Either way, prizes will always be generous!

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Webcam Constructed Tournaments
Webcam tournaments are a great way to earn game points and possibly walk away with a lot of Furos! All webcam constructed tournaments are for 8 players. There must be at least 4 players for a tournament to run.

Note: As of June 2013, webcam tournaments have been suspended due to lack of interest and no reliable methods of webcam group chats.

Changes effective July 2012
* Tournament levels renamed and re-scaled.
* We now use Skype for tournaments.

Rules
1) You must submit your 40-card decklist to seppel@furoticon.com no later than 30 minutes before the tournament starts.

2) You must have a webcam that can easily display all your cards in play in the Furoticon Skype chat. Add FuroticonWebcam to your Skype contacts list to join.

2a) If you don't have Skype, download it here: http://skype.com

3) All cards are legal to play. You may have a maximum of 3 copies of a card in your deck, except for Home Havens, which are unlimited.

4) If you have any 1st Vanilla cards in your deck, you must put your deck in opaque sleeves.

5) You must thoroughly shuffle your deck in view. If it leaves the view of your webcam after shuffling, you are disqualified.

6) Your hand must always remain in view (but don't show your cards, of course :) ). If it leaves the view of your webcam, you are disqualified.

7) Rounds are 55 minutes long. If time is up, the player with the highest stamina will be the winner. There is 1 game per round. If you fail to show up 10 minutes after a round has started, you will receive a match loss.

8) If someone asks for the stats of a card, you must be truthful. Intentionally misrepresenting the game state for your own advantage is grounds for a match loss. Repeated offenses will get you banned from ever playing in a sanctioned Furoticon tournament until the end of time. ;)

9) At the end of your turn (and whenever asked), you must let your opponent know your remaining AP and GP, since that's a crucial part of a Furoticon game. :)

10) Use dice or another visible method to keep track of your stamina and your Furres' stamina.

11) Alterations that you play on an opponent's Furres are a little tricky to play over webcam. Use your best effort to remember that the Furre is altered. For example, use a token to remind yourself that a Furre is altered.

12) If you have any rules questions, ask the moderator. All rulings by the moderator are final.

Signup levels
All players are welcomed and encouraged to enter every tournament level. The only difference in tournament levels is the signup cost, prizes, and game points awarded.

* To pay with Furos, you must be logged in to your Furoticon.com account. Then, when you go to the ordering page (http://furoticon.com/getcards.php), you will have the options to get Furos and pay with Furos. :)

Basic
Cost
Signup: 300 Furos ($3)

Prizes
1st Place: 700 Furos
2nd Place: 400 Furos
3rd/4th: 150 Furos

Game Points Awarded
Attendance: 2
Win by Orgasm: 1
Win by Time: 1
Loss by Orgasm: 0
Loss by Time: 0
Draw: 0
BYE: 1

Generous
Cost
Signup: 500 Furos ($5)

Prizes
1st Place: 1200 Furos
2nd Place: 700 Furos
3rd/4th: 250 Furos

Game Points Awarded
Win by Orgasm: 3
Win by Time: 2
Loss by Time: 1
Draw: 1
BYE: 3

Extra Generous
Cost
Signup: 1000 Furos ($10)

Prizes
1st Place: 2400 Furos
2nd Place: 1400 Furos
3rd/4th: 500 Furos

Game Points Awarded
Win by Orgasm: 8
Win by Time: 5
Loss by Time: 3
Draw: 3
BYE: 8

Ties
If there is ever a tie for a certain place, the Furos will be split evenly, rounded up. For example, in an Extra Generous tournament, if there is a tie for 1st and 2nd place, the two players will win even prizes of 1900 Furos ((2400 + 1400) / 2). If there is a tie for 2nd and 3rd, the two players will win even prizes of 950 Furos ((1400 + 500) / 2). If there is a three-way tie for 3rd, 4th, and 5th place, the three players will win even prizes of 334 Furos ((500 + 500) / 3, rounded up).

seth86
Coy

Post by seth86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:27 am

Tournaments sound fun. When my cards arrive, and i get more people to play, i hope to arange one. XD

Smitten
Servant

Post by Smitten » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Salutations, hope this is the right place to voice this question.

I'm new around these parts, and I don't have any cards yet, but the art I've seen looks delicious and I'm a sucker for card games like this. But before I compulsively throw the next puddle of money that comes my way into getting some, I'm wondering how often you guys host webcam tournaments? I know you do them at cons, but the likelihood of me getting to one in the foreseeable future is unlikely.

And is there a possibility of opening a forum for single match webcam games? That way people can post when they're free to play, and there'd be an incentive for schmucks like me who can't dole out the money for a convention visit. xD

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:24 am

Smitten wrote:Salutations, hope this is the right place to voice this question.

I'm new around these parts, and I don't have any cards yet, but the art I've seen looks delicious and I'm a sucker for card games like this. But before I compulsively throw the next puddle of money that comes my way into getting some, I'm wondering how often you guys host webcam tournaments? I know you do them at cons, but the likelihood of me getting to one in the foreseeable future is unlikely.

And is there a possibility of opening a forum for single match webcam games? That way people can post when they're free to play, and there'd be an incentive for schmucks like me who can't dole out the money for a convention visit. xD
Looking to play webcam games? Enter the Furoticon chat: http://furoticon.com/chat.php

You can play with anyone at any time! I know Bluefox has been waiting to play a game for quite a while!

As for tournaments, we try to run at least 2 tournaments per month, whether they be in the chat, or in real life. :)

BlueFox
Mischievous

Post by BlueFox » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:26 am

SOO been wanting to play!

Smitten
Servant

Post by Smitten » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:31 am

Ah! Well that's fantastic, I'll definitely see about getting in on this once I can scrounge up the money for some cards and a webcam! ^_^

Anthfurnee
Tease

Post by Anthfurnee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm

A few questions about this tournament. What if one is unsure if they're unsure if the webcam they own would meet standards?

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 am

Anthfurnee wrote:A few questions about this tournament. What if one is unsure if they're unsure if the webcam they own would meet standards?
Try it out in the Furoticon chat before the event. :)

Poptarts
Coy

Post by Poptarts » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 pm

Can you enter the novice tournament with just a starter deck?

Taz
Immune to Hedgemazes

Post by Taz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Nobody's stopping you, if you feel that it is the best deck that you can make! ^_^
"I play it for the game mechanics."

Poptarts
Coy

Post by Poptarts » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Oh dear that isn't reassuring D: but think you for answering my question. ^_^

Taz
Immune to Hedgemazes

Post by Taz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Poptarts wrote:Oh dear that isn't reassuring D: but think you for answering my question. ^_^
Let me back up and note that starter decks are pretty good in their own right, and even come with a few ridiculously good cards, to boot. That being said . . . there is also always room left in the starter deck for tweaking and improvement, as is the case with nearly all TCGs. Furthermore, when play is limited to out-of-the-box starter decks, it is usually recommended to be done with 25 Max Player :sp: , as opposed to the 50 :sp: for constructed-format games, where it is generally assumed that the player has taken the construction of their deck into their own hands.

Don't let this discourage you from getting a feel of the game, however! Once you get settled in and evaluate your playing style, you will have a better feel for the sort of cards you'd want to look for; in addition to buying cards directly, you can also use the trading forum to look for any particular cards that still elude you. :D
"I play it for the game mechanics."

EdwardHyena
Servant

Post by EdwardHyena » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:24 am

In reference to the webcam tournaments announced on the front page and in this thread.

1) Do games played at conventions count at all for the "league"?
2) Does the judge have a full list of the cards available (since Tanglebrook is not in the card database as of yet)
3) Do we also have to have audio capability? (I have a webcam but it does not have a microphone).

Drex
Charmer

Post by Drex » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 am

EdwardHyena wrote:In reference to the webcam tournaments announced on the front page and in this thread.

2) Does the judge have a full list of the cards available (since Tanglebrook is not in the card database as of yet)
3) Do we also have to have audio capability? (I have a webcam but it does not have a microphone).
Yes. The games played at cons go toward league points and are pretty much the only way to compete for first place to get the prize. Hopefully more webcam tournaments will change that though. ^^

I'd image the judge will have everything they need for the game. Even still, there is the card spoiler list that was created and is pretty accurate.

Audio is not a requirement, in fact most people will probably be playing without it. This is because everyone would be talking at the same time, making a huge mess of sound on the Skype chat haha.
I'm that otter that hates fish and swimming. ^^

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 am

Drex is correct on all accounts, except we will be running more webcam tournaments as demand rises, so players who compete in webcam tournaments will have just as equal (if not greater) chance of winning as players who only attend conventions. :)

If I have time, I'll try to get the full card spoiler up by the time the tournament starts. :)