Herms vs. Otherkin

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.

What decks should we playtest next?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:39 am

Males vs. Herms
100%
Males vs. Otherkin
No votes
Females vs. Herms
No votes
Females vs. Otherkin
No votes

Total votes: 2

Seppel
Site Admin

Herms vs. Otherkin

Post by Seppel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:39 am

This thread is for discussion of Herms vs. Otherkin.

Also, vote on what decks we should playtest next!

~Seppel
:tanrare: Seppel

Relana Chavez
Coy

Re: Herms vs. Otherkin

Post by Relana Chavez » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 am

;.; I wanna pway!

Houshou
Servant

Post by Houshou » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 am

Males, Females, Herms, Otherkin....

Whats really the difference? Isn't a Furre, a Furre regardless of its gender?
What does each 'gender' have to offer over, or more of, than the others that would constitute the need to play test each Deck vs Deck?
Wouldn't it be more sound to just create like 5-10 cards for you and whoever the lucky bastard it is that gets to play test the game with you and see how each new card works in the game?

I guess I don't see a difference between the Furre's other than Gender, and sexual preferences for each of them.

Yarl Scavinoch
Servant

Post by Yarl Scavinoch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:06 am

A furre may be a furre, but can you really say that everyone acts the same? Females act differently than males, and the same goes for herms and otherkin. Certain trademark personality traits were mapped to each gender and then applied to card design.

Relana Chavez
Coy

Post by Relana Chavez » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Houshou wrote:Males, Females, Herms, Otherkin....

Whats really the difference? Isn't a Furre, a Furre regardless of its gender?
What does each 'gender' have to offer over, or more of, than the others that would constitute the need to play test each Deck vs Deck?
Wouldn't it be more sound to just create like 5-10 cards for you and whoever the lucky bastard it is that gets to play test the game with you and see how each new card works in the game?

I guess I don't see a difference between the Furre's other than Gender, and sexual preferences for each of them.
I know Seppel might hate me for suggesting this, but think of it like Magic. Each mana color has different specialties.
Blue has good counters, red has good direct damage, white, black, etc. Same principal here... although I don't quite remember what it is right now.

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:50 am

Relana Chavez wrote:I know Seppel might hate me for suggesting this, but think of it like Magic. Each mana color has different specialties.
Blue has good counters, red has good direct damage, white, black, etc. Same principal here... although I don't quite remember what it is right now.
Well, every trading card game borrows somewhat from Magic, so I don't mind too much. Magic was the first, and it's still around (and it's still as finicky as ever with mana screw).

Here's what each of the genders represents in Furoticon:

Males = Power, Order, and Nature
Females = Life, Grace, and Love
Herms = Lust, Abundance, and Chaos
Otherkin = Death, Emptiness, and Control

If you really want to try to map the genders to Magic colors, here's sort of where they lie:

Females = White / Blue (Focusing on protection)
Otherkin = Blue / Black (Focusing on control)
Herms = Black / Red / Green (Focusing on corruption)
Males = Red / Green / White (Focusing on power)

Is the game trying to enforce how certain genders should act? No. Of course not.

And what of gender identity issues? I hope nobody comes turning to a card game to get answers to life's questions. :D

This is just a lighthearted game that uses gender (or more specifically, sex) as an underlying theme and game mechanic. Don't take games so seriously, just enjoy them!

Shimo
Coy

Post by Shimo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:25 am

Personally the game seems almost like a clone of Magic. But then so is pokemon yugio and any other thing coming from japan. I like the idea of a furry based Magic. I'm just wondering what else will be added beyond creatures and sex points or what ever your term for them is.(mana, energy, you name it.) For your game to ever really catch on at all you need some sort of difference from other games. Magic had its strategy put to gether with generaly a slower play in a world of magic and powers, Pokemon was less of a strategy and more of a deck stacker. With a generally fast paced game play. The health system in pokemon was amazing and the idea you could only attack and defend with one pokemon really set it apart from magic. As for yugio I never got into it. In fact I found it very boring to watch on TV and never was interested in the card game. But for your game you need some thing really different that nobody else has. Some thing that strikes the player as different and fun. Think of spider solitaire compared to regular solitaire. Notice the difference? Any ways. I'll let you go.. Hope the game pulls together for you.

Shimo
Coy

Post by Shimo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:27 am

Oh and I vote Females vs. Otherkin.. Couldn't figure out how to tell the damn thing to vote... Couldn't find the button.

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Shimo wrote:Oh and I vote Females vs. Otherkin.. Couldn't figure out how to tell the damn thing to vote... Couldn't find the button.
Sorry, the poll ended a while ago. XD

Playtesting has been underway, I just haven't had a chance to write another article about it.

Shimo
Coy

Post by Shimo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:04 am

ahhh. So do you guys have any other things you plan on adding to the game? Maybe trying out. Just haveing furre's would get boring fast and really limits the amount of things you can do. Other things that need to be payed for would make the game a lot more interesting.

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Shimo wrote:ahhh. So do you guys have any other things you plan on adding to the game? Maybe trying out. Just haveing furre's would get boring fast and really limits the amount of things you can do. Other things that need to be payed for would make the game a lot more interesting.
Yes, there are 5 types of cards. Furres are one of them. They're important, but you can't win with a deck that's only Furres. :)

Kitsunami
Voyeur

Post by Kitsunami » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 pm

Otherkin are fun.

I want an otherkin deck xD