Climax Playmats

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Climax Playmats

Post by Astrid Varelse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 pm

So I just got my playmat in the mail and I love it.

But I couldn't help but wonder since both of the Climax mats are from Wolves vs. Rats
Will we be seeing playmats from the Grads vs. Dancers box?
Talk about Furoticon on Discord!

Also, visit my trading thread

Seppel
Site Admin

Re: Climax Playmats

Post by Seppel » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:12 pm

So there's a few rules we've learned we need to follow for playmats:

(1) The art needs to be completely G-rated. Not even suggestive. (Lingerie Lizard and Grizzwald? Those are out.) That gives us a choice of 18 artworks.

(2) There needs to be a character in the artwork with a positive or inspiring narrative. That leaves us with 8 choices:

Caramel
Sebastian
Sudden Shower
Full Inbox
Kris, Keynote Speaker
Rework
Aria and Strawberry
Diveka's Flat

(3) It needs to "look good" on a playmat. This can come down to art positioning, art style, lighting, and other factors that just make us say, "Ugh, this one isn't working." Of those 8, only Diveka's Flat worked out. So instead of going with the singleton, we decided to do a re-release of our two most popular mats. :)
:tanrare: Seppel

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:14 am

Seppel wrote:The art needs to be completely G-rated. Not even suggestive. (Lingerie Lizard and Grizzwald? Those are out.) That gives us a choice of 18 artworks.
  • Totally makes sense. I mean, just by comparing the names of the two deck boxes, it's to be expected that Grads vs Dancers, being more celebratory, contain fewer G-rated cards to work with.
Seppel wrote:Only Diveka's Flat worked out. So instead of going with the singleton, we decided to do a re-release of our two most popular mats. :)
  • Although I will say I'm surprised that Aria and Strawberry didn't make the cut for Grads vs Dancers. Because I'd imagine the playmat would've look excellent!
Sebastian's art most likely didn't accommodate the width of a mat very well -- But that does beg the question when looking for playmat art, have you ever experimented with asking an Artist to expand the width of a card's art to accommodate the playmat? [Aria + Sebastian would've been a good representation of Grads and Dancers assuming the arts worked out]

It's a shame that the Home Haven's didn't get a chance to shine.
[especially with how gorgeous :artist: AcidaPluvia's work was! Just imagine a panorama transitioning between all 4]

PS: I just realised that Aria and Strawberry is card number 1337

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:27 am

I had some extra free time so...
Click to enlarge