Considering 3D Printed Counters

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Considering 3D Printed Counters

Post by Astrid Varelse » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm looking to get a 3D Printer in the near future and was considering making unique counters for Furoticon! They would include the Energy, Experience, Pain, Dream, and -5 Max SP.

Any feedback is really appreciated because I want to make these as good as can be.
If you think you've got something that would better represent one of the counters [For example, maybe you find something more fitting for conductors rather than a lightning bolt for 'energy'] please let me know so I can have a look!
[Click to enlarge]
[Click to enlarge]
[Click to enlarge]
ImageImage
ImageImage
[Click to enlarge]
Last edited by Astrid Varelse on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Talk about Furoticon on Discord!

Also, visit my trading thread

polkakitty
Charmer

Re: Considering 3D Printed Counters

Post by polkakitty » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Yeah, I've actually wanted to design a board game lately, just so I'd have an excuse to get a 3D printer and play around with it.

These designs look really good. With a lot of 3D printing projects, I'd worry about losing fidelity to the original design between the render and the final product, but since these are basically just flat surfaces with raised symbols on them, they should be about the easiest thing to 3D print. And I don't know whether anyone else would be interested, but I would definitely want to use these if they were actually made.

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 am

And yes, the plan is to print in white and then mask the inner surface and spray paint the outer surfaces

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 am

Bump!

Added the following:
Pain Counter
Experience Counter
Alternate -5 Max SP Counter

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:15 pm

That looks really cool! I like the designs!

My only suggestion is that since XP counters are only used for adventurers, so something more adventurous than a mortarboard might be more appropriate. :)
:tanrare: Seppel

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:15 am

Seppel wrote:That looks really cool! I like the designs!

My only suggestion is that since XP counters are only used for adventurers, so something more adventurous than a mortarboard might be more appropriate. :)
Any suggestions? -- My knee-jerk reaction is sword and shield, similarly to Adventure Time.

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:12 am

How about a treasure chest? It's not an adventure unless you get phat loot, after all, and I think that connotes the "rewards for completing a quest" aspect of Adventurers more than the "fighting" aspect.

(For what it's worth, the only thing that seems troublesome to me about the mortarboard is that thematically, it seems like something that should go with the college setting instead of the fantasy setting.)

Taz
Immune to Hedgemazes

Post by Taz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:40 am

That's an excellent suggestion, polka! Personally, I was about to suggest a torch, but that was probably Armello coloring my views. XD

For Furoticon, some of our more iconic Adventurer characters include [card]Sikaah the Purifier[/card], [card]Kasim[/card], [card]Hibiscus[/card], and the aforementioned [card]Fake and Jinn[/card]. You'll notice a common thread with all of them is that their stories all involve expeditions to the wilderness (Sikaah finds herself with the Jinvon, including their Queen, who is also an Adventurer; the other three cards find themselves with Gluttons). Even the flavor text to [card]Spinner's Gate[/card] indicates that Adventurers should at least make their way to the lair of [card]Argoffa, Spider Queen[/card] to be worth their status.

To that end, I recommend something like a walking stick or a staff. The aforementioned Sikaah (see also [card]Solo Dungeon[/card]), [card]Soothing Ulla[/card], and the super-experienced in adventures [card]Sylbana, Hero[/card] are all seen with staves, which are a staple of any long high-fantasy journey.

Alternatively, you see that contract that [card]Coppe[/card] is holding? Turns out that is an important aspect of Adventurer culture in Kemah Karah, and perhaps people would be more willing to associate a lithograph with loads of text on it with "experience," if it's connotated enough like infamously paper-heavy tabletop RPGs. XD
"I play it for the game mechanics."

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 am

[Click to Enlarge]
[Click to Enlarge]

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 pm

These look pretty good, but the one with the treasure chest seems a bit hard to read. It's tricky to come up with a design that looks convincing when the colors are spray-painted over a white base, because you can't have a white region enclosed by a colored region, but I think the shape of the treasure chest might be clearer if the top side of the rectangular body of the chest, where you'd reach into it, was colored white instead of yellow. So, essentially, the sides of the box and the lid, which are solid, would be filled in yellow, but the open space inside the chest would be white.

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:01 am

Yeah I was sort of thinking that too, but I figured that it would probably just make it look empty...
But hey I'll give it a go!
[Click to Expand]
[Click to Expand]

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:55 pm

Looks great!
:tanrare: Seppel