Possibly Selling Cards Outside Of Events?

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
PrinceAlarming
Coy

Possibly Selling Cards Outside Of Events?

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:16 am

This is a question probably best suited to ask Seppel directly (which I may do in addition to posting this), but I'm posting it here in case it might benefit others as well in the future.
I was wondering if Tail Kiss Studio has ever or would consider selling Furoticon outside of the events they showcase the game at; in or around the area of the event?
I discovered Furoticon at GX3 in San Jose a few weeks ago, and the next event Furoticon is being featured at is FurCon which is also happening in San Jose in a couple weeks. I'm not planning to attend FurCon because I can't financially justify buying a ticket just to buy Furoticon cards and then split. But since you'll be in the area, I'm wondering if there's potentially a time frame around the days of the event (before, during, or after) when there's no tournament to host or vendor table to staff that you could sell decks directly to your devoted consumers :aww: like in a hotel lobby or some other suitable public place.
Of course not having a business license myself I don't know if there's some technicality that prohibits that, but I would imagine if you can sell stuff online you can sell stuff in person too, right?
Fingers crossed :D

polkakitty
Charmer

Re: Possibly Selling Cards Outside Of Events?

Post by polkakitty » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:01 pm

I think there are actually a lot of very good reasons not to do something like that. The point of having the dealer's den is to have a central location for people to be selling merchandise, which benefits attendees of the con since they have a clear place to go for anything they might want to buy, it benefits sellers because they have an audience coming by their tables that's already planning to buy items that are similar to the ones they're selling, and it even benefits the hotel staff and guests since they don't have to deal with merchants getting in people's way and confusing their guests in central areas of the hotel. (Creating a nuisance in the hotel lobby, in particular, is a really quick way to get the con staff out for your head, which you can't afford if you need to make sales at cons to keep your business solvent.) Cons also generally have rules that selling products has to be done in designated areas, for reasons that mainly have to do with tax reporting (you can't be holding an event on the scale of a typical furry con and expect the IRS not to notice.)

Also, since most of the people passing through places like the hotel lobby aren't actually going to be furry, there is the question of what aspects of the fandom we really want them to see. I've found that most furries seem to have a more or less instinctive understanding of what, in Japan, is referred to as "honne" and "tatemae", meaning the difference between one's true inner feelings that are only discussed within one's inner circle, and the facade that one puts on in order to interact with the outside world. You don't have to think there's anything wrong or shameful about sexual aspects of the fandom to realize that there cannot be anything to gain by putting them on display in parts of the hotel that aren't associated with the convention (and besides, that's the kind of thing that makes hotel owners decide it's not worth it to host furry cons anymore.) And some people think this is somehow dishonest or hypocritical, but it is something that every community in the world does by necessity (the Japanese, apparently, are just the only ones who are self-aware enough to talk about it.)

If you just want to find more people to play with, the best thing to do would probably be to bring a few different decks to a local furmeet or something and see if anyone would be interested in playing with you. :)

PrinceAlarming
Coy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:36 pm

I just wanted to buy more cards in person without buying a ticket to the event since I don't plan on going to the convention
I knew it was a long shot, but doesn't hurt to throw it out there
My two close friends discovered this game along with me, we all want to play it but the trick is finding a place to play without a family member or stray kid taking a peak at our game

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:36 am

Well, I know you didn't mean anything bad by this, and I'm sorry if I came down too hard on you about it. I've certainly had difficulties getting in touch with people I can talk to about things like Furoticon, and furry stuff in general, but I find that gets easier over time, as you get to know more people who share your interests and you establish your own home, independent of your parents. :)

PrinceAlarming
Coy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:12 pm

What's killing me is that I moved out on my own nine years ago, but due to circumstances out of my control I had to move back in with my family back in October temporarily... and I'm still waiting for my new place to open it's doors to get out on my own again.
But until then I have to tuck away my Furoticon cards out of sight.

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:21 pm

If you have a private room in your house after dark, you could play Furoticon over webcam! :D
:tanrare: Seppel