The skill-less Furres of Caramel 4th Vanilla

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
Astrid Varelse
Charmer

The skill-less Furres of Caramel 4th Vanilla

Post by Astrid Varelse » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am

I've taken notice that starting in Caramel 4th Vanilla, Furres without skills are given full art treatment due to a lack of flavour text. I was under the impression that part of what made Promo cards special, was their full-art nature... So in a way, this seemed to devalue promos in a sense. However from a collectors perspective, I suppose the only thing that contributes to a cards value are full sets, and limited availability. [And power ofcourse, but that's more from a players perspective]
Talk about Furoticon on Discord!

Also, visit my trading thread

polkakitty
Charmer

Re: The skill-less Furres of Caramel 4th Vanilla

Post by polkakitty » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:04 am

I'm not really worried about devaluing the promo cards, since I think of them as more collector's items than something that's necessary or practical to use in a game (it's just too much of a headache to explain to people who aren't already familiar with those specific cards that, even though it doesn't say anything on the card, it is supposed to have a skill, and I'm not just making the least convincing attempt to cheat ever.)

However, I did actually feel it was disappointing that Caramel had so many vanilla Furres in it, simply because what you could do with them was so limited. For obvious reasons, there are just very few situations where a Furre with no skills will ever be the best Furre to use. Besides, for cards with short skill text, the newer sets often use a smaller text box than usual, allowing for a bigger picture ([card]Orgy Time[/card] and [card]Sign of the Solet[/card] both do this, despite not being Furres, and in terms of art, those are my favorite cards in Caramel,) so expanding the art and having skills on the cards certainly aren't mutually exclusive.

Having 8 vanilla Furres really seems excessive to me, at least given that Caramel is a mini-set and it only has a total of 42 Furres in the first place (to put this in perspective, even 1st Vanilla only had 5 vanilla Furres out of 74.) I understand the point of Caramel was largely to be a starting point for new players with cards that are easy to understand yet are useful in a wide enough range of situations to provide a good foundation to start building custom decks with, but I'd prefer to have Furres like [card]Daisy the Eavesdropper[/card], [card]Moxie[/card], and [card]Niko[/card], which have skills that are simple, but are distinctive and suggest a particular strategic use.

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:09 am

Yes but skills do generally come at the cost. Or atleast they should, whether that be :sp:, PE's or the actual cost of the card itself, vanilla Furres should offer lower costs, and/or higher :sp: or PE's compared to Furres who have any skills whatsoever. (I haven't looked at this at all, so I'm not trying to say there is an issue ;))

Without that balance, given all costs, :sp:, and PE's being equal, ofcourse skills are better than no skills, but that's a decision the player should make based on their use case. -- (unless they hinder the Furre in some respect ofcourse)

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:53 pm

We realized after-the-fact that full-art cards would get confused with full-art promos. Oops! We should've added flavor text. :)

On the topic of 8 vanilla Furres in Caramel, the original skeleton called for 12... :wtf: ...but 4 rare Furres of Caramel got skills late in development when we realized that it was an absolutely awful idea to have vanilla rares.
:tanrare: Seppel

Taz
Immune to Hedgemazes

Post by Taz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 am

Ooh, here's a fun game for you guys: guess which four rare Furres started out as vanilla! Here's a hint: like the common and uncommon vanilla Furres, it was a cycle of one for each gender. :)
"I play it for the game mechanics."

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:57 am

Okay so we have 8 rare Furres...

2 Rare Male Furres:
  • Lewis, Bartender
  • Niko
3 Rare Female Furres:
  • Ashamai Unleashed
  • Callista Skip (Reprint cannot be vanilla)
  • Zig Zag (Reprint cannot be vanilla)
2 Rare Herm Furres:
  • Gloria in Charge
  • Licentious Lecta
3 Rare Otherkind Furres:
  • Dewni
  • Jevaux
  • Sex Addict (Reprint cannot be vanilla)
My guess is:
  • Niko (50-50, assuming it isn't promos)
  • Ashamai Unleashed (Seems obvious, other females are reprints)
  • Gloria in Charge (50-50, assuming it isn't promos)
  • Dewni (50-50, -- can't be Sex Addict)