Coming from other TCG's need Help adapting

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
guitardudeiii
Coy

Coming from other TCG's need Help adapting

Post by guitardudeiii » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:37 am

I am coming from a deep understanding of card games such as Yi-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and Hearthstone. I know the rules for MTG but its not a game i flourished in. So with that in mind Is there any tips you furs have for someone like me? Also what genders specialize in what? Like I think I read somewhere that Herms where very good at rush aggro style playing or something along those lines. Please and thank you :3

polkakitty
Charmer

Re: Coming from other TCG's need Help adapting

Post by polkakitty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:31 am

I tend to think the best way of conceptualizing the playstyles for each gender is actually to relate them to RPG character archetypes instead of other card games:

Males == Fighters. Their Furres tend to be the best in direct engagements in bed, and they have the best direct pleasure skills, but they have very little in the way of defensive skills, and they have trouble dealing with more subtle threats (i. e. non-Furre cards.)

Females == Clerics. They're the most defensively oriented gender, with the best :sp: recovery skills and the most staying power. Many of their Furres have skills like Generous and Lure which allow them to choose battles where they will have an advantage.

Herms == Thieves. Their strategies tend to involve making an all-out rush against the opponent in the early game, and in the short term, the pleasure they deal can outpace Males, but they can't keep up the pressure as long. They also tend to be the best at manipulating both their own and opponents' Treats (think as in Use Magic Device.)

Otherkind == Wizards. They have some very unique and specialized skills that can alter the rules of the game in various ways, allowing them to get extra draws, deny opponents' cards, and bring back cards from their couch (discard pile.) From a flavor perspective, most of the cards with effects that are explicitly supposed to be magical also seem to be theirs (with the exception of Conductors, I guess, but those are part of a fantasy-themed setting that's pretty high-magic across the board.)

By a weird coincidence, Males also have a lot of cards that allow them to generate other types of GP besides their own, which makes it relatively easy to build a multi-gender deck with Male and another gender. In a way, I guess this parallels the idea of every 2nd Edition D&D character eventually becoming a Fighter/something else multiclass (or at least that's how it would work out when I played Icewind Dale, 2nd Edition was long obsolete by the time I got into playing any actual tabletop RPGs....) However, it's possible to make a viable deck with any combination of 2 genders, and 3- and 4-gender decks have performed well on occasion.

guitardudeiii
Coy

Post by guitardudeiii » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:10 am

polkakitty wrote:I tend to think the best way of conceptualizing the playstyles for each gender is actually to relate them to RPG character archetypes instead of other card games:

Males == Fighters. Their Furres tend to be the best in direct engagements in bed, and they have the best direct pleasure skills, but they have very little in the way of defensive skills, and they have trouble dealing with more subtle threats (i. e. non-Furre cards.)

Females == Clerics. They're the most defensively oriented gender, with the best :sp: recovery skills and the most staying power. Many of their Furres have skills like Generous and Lure which allow them to choose battles where they will have an advantage.

Herms == Thieves. Their strategies tend to involve making an all-out rush against the opponent in the early game, and in the short term, the pleasure they deal can outpace Males, but they can't keep up the pressure as long. They also tend to be the best at manipulating both their own and opponents' Treats (think as in Use Magic Device.)

Otherkind == Wizards. They have some very unique and specialized skills that can alter the rules of the game in various ways, allowing them to get extra draws, deny opponents' cards, and bring back cards from their couch (discard pile.) From a flavor perspective, most of the cards with effects that are explicitly supposed to be magical also seem to be theirs (with the exception of Conductors, I guess, but those are part of a fantasy-themed setting that's pretty high-magic across the board.)
This is exactly what I was looking for thank you so much! are there anything like staple cards here? For example in YGO, it is almost necessary to have cards like black hole (destroy all monsters on the field) because it is so good in many situations.

Drex
Charmer

Post by Drex » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 pm

The most "must have" card that every deck in the game needs is probably Field. It generates 2 AP and costs 6 AP to put in to play. AP is insanely important in Furo. Even having just 1 extra can allow you to draw two cards on your turn and still defend. If you had just the default 10 you would either have to choose, draw two cards and have no defense or draw 1 cards and waste 5 AP so that you can defend if needed. There's lots of other reasons AP is important though. Such as nearly every card costs AP to play, so the more you have, the more options you have in a turn.

Field is the all around best option IMO, but there are other good AP generators, usually the ones that give you 1 AP and also have some sort of secondary special ability.

Aside from those, I wouldn't say there are any must have cards that branch out to all decks in the game. It will depend on the deck you build in order to define the must haves in that particular deck.
I'm that otter that hates fish and swimming. ^^

guitardudeiii
Coy

Post by guitardudeiii » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Thank you all! you have been very helpful. I am still lost but i just think I need more time with the cards and rules.

blizleopard
Tease

Post by blizleopard » Fri May 01, 2015 8:43 am

There is an online tournament this weekend. One of the things that happens is that the chat system is opened up and all the players are in there, and post the cards they're playing as a backup to what they see in Skype. You can watch this, and you can also follow along using the Card Spoiler so you can read the text of what is played.

I'm a learn by doing person myself, and the way I got into it was jumping right in at a con, and getting into a booster draft, which has always been one of my favorite play formats.

Draconis
Supple

Post by Draconis » Fri May 01, 2015 2:32 pm

I'll try and take a crack at this and give you the basic knowledge I can give you having come from various card games and board games myself, is as follows:

First and foremost, the primary theme behind furoticon is basically akin to "Make love, not war".

Unlike Pokemon and Magic, Cardfight Vanguard, Yugi-oh, Warhammer: Invasion etc, there is no Violence in Furoticon. Everything is themed around basically getting your opponent to orgasm while you yourself as the harem owner remain untouched and in control as much as possible. A good analogy would be a Pokemon Trainer not wanting to get zapped by his opponents pokemon, and using his own Pokemon to defend him. I am aware the TCG doesn't allow targeting of the trainer and so on, but hopefully the analogy of the concept helps. :)

As for Genders...

Genders:

Male: Male cards tend to focus on overall power. The Wiki for Furoticon lists them as following the qualities of Power, Order, and Nature. Basically, Males are completely about Offense. Think of it in Pokemon Terms for the TCG where you are trying to design a team of one hit sweepers. That's basically males. They have a lot of cards that allow them to be aggressive or alter other cards to boost their overall pleasure abilities, or allow them to target a harem owner or furre directly for example. Think of it as someone ordering their Pokemon to attack the bench instead of the Pokemon out on the field. They have abilities that can do that as well as directly targeting the Harem Owner as well.

Females: Hooo boy, Females. Ever hear the old joke, I think it was from Jeff Foxworthy or one of his friends in a comedy show ages ago, where he compared a woman to a diesel engine. The way he joked about it, was that women can take a long time to get warmed up and into the mood. But once they do, they can go a long, long, LONG time. Hopefully no one minds me using that analogy and I pray that it did not offend but it was the best way I could think of leading up into this. Basically, females can turtle. Females can turtle for an insanely long period of time. And while they are doing that, they can make you discard a ton of cards from your deck as well. Females are all about serious staying power and outlasting their opponents. They have abilities that either cause discards, or allow them to come back into the game after they orgasm with less stamina, but still very much raring to go in the sack.

Herms: The Wiki says Herms follow the qualities of Lust, abundance, and Chaos. They focus on speed, and may include manipulation and Aggression. My favorite Gender.Which is odd for me because usually I like defensive decks or cards. Herms are all about rapid fire aggression. They are among the fastest and most potentially powerful cards in the game, if played right. Speed, Speed, and more Speed is among some of their capabilities. Some of them are Tantric, an ability where they can regain stamina after dealing pleasure themselves. Think of it as a sort of Drain ability. But know that Pleasure is dealt first, and if the herm still has at least 1 stamina left, Tantric will trigger and allow hir to heal up the exact amount of pleasure shi dealt out. Herms also specialize in boosting PEs like Males and manipulating your opponents furres or treats as well. But basically, think of Herms as Rapid Fire Aggression that can get a furre wall up very quickly and deal a lot of pleasure, very, very quick.

Otherkin: Fastest way I can sum them up. Deck manipulation. Otherkin according to the Wiki follow the qualities of Legends, Uniqueness, and Synthetics. They focus on Control, and may include alteration or protection. Basically, Otherkin are all about Deck Manipulation and Alteration. They can deny furres from even participating in a swing, remove them from the game altogether, bring cards back into your hand that were removed from the game, or draw more cards and manipulate the scene to their whims. In many ways, think of Otherkin as a Mage and his golems. Otherkin excel at manipulating the field, cards, and furres to suit their needs and give themselves the advantage.

Final two things to know that may help things:

AP, or Action Points: The best analogy I can give you is akin to Pokemon Energy. But instead of using them to fuel abilities, you use them to bring Furres, Actions, Treats, or Surprises out into the scene. As well as command your furres to either swing or put out. Think of it as kind of a resource of command points for your furres in a way. You can only issue so many orders and commands in a given turn. Action Points basically represent the amount of influence and power you have among your harem. The more AP? The more powerful you are and the more influence you have. Having a huge AP pool allows you to plan and have more breathing room. AP basically fuels everything, from allowing you to pay to draw a card, place a furre into the scene, or play a treat or an action card.

Gender Points: Gender points can basically be attributed to the equivalent of Lands for Magic: The Gathering. Yet they are still unique. Gender points are not "Tapped" like Magic does with Lands. Instead, each Haven you have for your furres allows you to gather 1 Gender point during your step. The more Havens you have out, the more gender points you generate. Basically, instead of "Tapping" Havens, they automatically generate a resource pool called Gender points which you then accrue and use in conjunction with Action points to pay for various furres, actions, and treats to come out onto the scene.

Hopefully that helps some. :)

If you want to dig into things a bit, the link to the Wiki for Furoticon is here: Furoticon Wiki

Blizleopard is also right, there is an online tournament this weekend. If you want you could likely hop in and watch, it may help you understand the game better. :)

Hope that helps some!