What species would you love to see in a theme deck?

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.

Poll ended at Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Bats
4%
Birds
3%
Cheetahs
3%
Cougars
2%
Coyotes
2%
Deer
3%
Dragons
3%
Foxes
8%
Gryphons
3%
Horses
4%
Hyenas
2%
Jackals
2%
Jaguars
3%
Kangaroos
2%
Leopards
3%
Lions
2%
Lizards
3%
Lynxes
3%
Mice
2%
Ocelots
2%
Otters
2%
Panda Bears
3%
Panthers
4%
Polar, Grizzly, or Brown Bears
2%
Rabbits
5%
Raccoons
3%
Rats
2%
Red Pandas
4%
Skunks
3%
Squirrels
5%
Tigers
4%
Weasels
1%
Wolves
4%

Total votes: 541

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 pm

In 2012, we released a Wolf deck, an Otter deck, and a Dragon deck! If we created new species-themed decks, what species would you love to see? Check all the species that you'd love to see!

ImageImageImage

Is your favorite species not listed? Post a comment letting us know!
:tanrare: Seppel

polkakitty
Charmer

Re: What species would you love to see in a theme deck?

Post by polkakitty » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 pm

Interesting, it's been a while since you had a survey like this. I'd actually kind of like it if there was a deck with several different species of feline Furres, which would allow you to cover several of these types at once (or the same thing could be done with rodents, or maybe reptiles.)

The problem is, if you tried to make tribal support cards for bigger groups of Furres, they could easily include too many Furre types, which would make them both overpowered and confusing to use, and if only a few Furre types were included, there would be omissions that would just be silly and annoying, like a Haven that gives bonuses to tigers, leopards, and cheetahs, but not lions, jaguars, or ocelots. But I think there might possibly be room for cards that let you pick two Furre types and then give you bonuses for using them together, like "name two Furre types, when you swing with at least one Furre of both types, you may refresh target Furre", or "name two Furre types, when a Furre of one of those types that you control orgasms, you may have a Furre of the other type and another target Furre pleasure each other". Think of it as a tag team sort of mechanic. I think that might really help in cases where there are species that are closely related to each other, but none of them by itself has enough Furres to make a viable deck.

Also, I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a Fox-themed deck yet.

(One nitpick about the list: panthers and leopards are the same species. People will probably have their own preferences as to coloration, though.)

Obsydian
Voyeur

Post by Obsydian » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Birds would be cool, as there's so much variety! (And I'm totally non-biased, as a penguin, and all... :fist: )
Otherwise I'd love to see more cats as well.

Kaia_Cougar
Servant

Post by Kaia_Cougar » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

Ok, I already commented on the main site, but might as well go into more detail here.

1.) Furoticon has absolutely no cougars in it. Remember that this certain travesty must end. :P

2.) The lack of decks kinda hurt lions and rats. Their dual gender lands were exceedingly rare finds, and I wish so, so much that I could have a tribal owner that fit my lion deck.

2.b.) I really think the tanglebrook dual gender lands should be reworked for a new set. I very much liked the Vell's End way of handling dual gender. If they were all a player had, they would even be useful outside of a Vell's end deck (they become a slightly more costly XorY land). Tanglebrook ones, however, we're useless outside of the specified race because they would require you to discard a home haven from play. So a total of 14AP and two cards, compared to 8AP and two cards if you just brought a pair of home havens with you.

3.) I would love to see new and more races in the tribal setting. But I also don't want the old ones to be abandoned completely. I feel that, going forward, the old races should get some support, even just a few cards per set. If working all of tanglebrook-1 into a new set isn't feasible, then try working a couple old races into each set. For example, lions were described as having migrated to tanglebrook. Perhaps the region of the new set is where the lions migrated from!

Triss
Coy

Post by Triss » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:37 am

So I'd just like to point out something I've noticed with Furoticon.

Felines exist in a huge variety. Each Variety is it's one 'type' and that makes it a little difficult to build themed decks with the existing cards. All the types of standard canine (wild dog is it's own thing), wolves, fox, otter, dragon, horse ect. are 'grouped'. Why not do a 'feline' errata and then all the people above that want 'feline' decks can sorta get what they want. You could also do the same thing with mustilids (otters could be tossed in here but they are in many ways different?) mustilids could take place of 'weasels' though and then you'd have badgers, wolverines, ferrets, weasels, ect. ;)

Mind you, I didn't vote felines because species loyalty and all, I'd naturally love more otters, those aside... My partner is a hyena and no one short of Hyena Agenda makes that much hyena stuff. Striped hyenas, Ardwolves, Spotted Hyenas and brown Hyenas all have a nice and wide variety of 'looks to them'.

Just some thoughts I had when I saw the list!

I saw all the types of cats and was like 'WOW...lots of people want cats but they're like the independent party. 126 parties with 126 candidates that never make the ballot outside of their own state'. Well I mean...each type of cat does have a pretty solid vote.

Kaycat
Tease

Post by Kaycat » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 am

I agree wholeheartedly with the above comment. I would have voted for felines. It would have been my second choice. I spent a good couple minutes looking for the option before I realized that it didn't exist and what had been done. I think the treatment of felines is a little odd. I realize that they are quite a varied group but there is so little unity that it is very hard to use them. That said, some division might be workable and even called for so that the term feline isn't spread so wide. Perhaps something like big cats versus small cats would work better?

Edit!: I realized after writing the above that Tanglebrook makes this all a little more complicated. Lions were one of the Tanglebrook six which means that they have specific support. So I have another idea that might help with that. Instead of replacing species types with "feline" or "big cat" or some such, you could just add a generic type to the cards and in the future print things like "feline lion" or "big cat panther" for example. This way you have the design space for unified support for all felines, or big and small cats, or whatever you decide to do, as well as species specific support like for lions in Tanglebrook. Just thought I should update that to take into account what I had remembered.

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Triss wrote:Why not do a 'feline' errata and then all the people above that want 'feline' decks can sorta get what they want.
Actually, there have been errata going the other way. In the very first Furoticon set, there was just a "Feline" Furre type that covered everything in the family Felidae, probably because with only one set, there just weren't enough Furres in existence for support for smaller groups to be viable. As later sets came out, there were more and more feline Furres that were classified as their own species, and then after Strawberry, there was a ruling made that all feline Furres will be classified as their species from now on, and there is no longer a Feline type, but there is a Cat type that only includes domestic cats.

I guess the good thing about this is that it allows different feline species to have distinct specialties and playstyles (Tanglebrook Lions certainly do, and if this survey is any indication, Tigers probably will in a future set.) However, there aren't any cards that can support multiple Furre types (except for 1st Vanilla's [card]Canine Central[/card] and [card]Equine Exhibition[/card], but I'm pretty sure the only reason those are written the way they are is, again, because of the limited number of Furres available when all we had was 1st Vanilla, especially since [card]Fox Hole[/card] does exactly the same thing as Canine Central with a pool of Furres that, by the time it was printed, was about as large as the number of Dogs, Wolves, and Foxes in 1st Vanilla.) So the disadvantage is that it kind of encourages you to focus only on the most supported species.

This is why I thought it might be good to have cards that allow you to pick two Furre types and get bonuses for using them together, to make it more worthwhile to branch out into the less supported species. Actually, though, if another set was created focusing on just a few species, maybe a good solution would be to have a feline species whose specialty is working together with another Furre type (like Shapeshifters kind of did in Tanglebrook.) Like, they could have cards that say things like "name a Furre type other than Tigers, Furres of that type that you control get +1 to all PEs for each Tiger Furre in the scene", and the flavor for Tigers could be that they're a diaspora that's united by their traditions instead of national boundaries, and they aren't recognized by conventional institutions, but have allies all over the world, sort of like Algurin.

Also, on the survey, it occurred to me that there should probably be a "Snow Leopard" option, which is a different species from (tropical) leopards, and is actually a quite popular species in the fandom.

Azao
Voyeur

Post by Azao » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:10 pm

I voted rabbit cause there are to many feline options and I heard cabbit is never going to be an option saddly.

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Well, there have been hybrid Furres in Furoticon before, like [card]Daeven[/card] (Lion/Tiger,) [card]Sovy Kurosei[/card] (Coyote/Dragon,) and of course [card]Zig Zag[/card] (Tiger/Skunk.) They basically just count as being both types, and are affected by anything that would affect either type, so there could be a cabbit Furre that would be listed as "Furre - Cat Rabbit", and would get the benefits of both types if you played cards like [card]Join the Team[/card] or [card]Two's a Crowd[/card].

fawx
Voyeur

Post by fawx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 am

there hasnt been like a dedicated fox theme thing so i say Foxes!

ShySkunkShaman
Voyeur

Post by ShySkunkShaman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Pangolins. Because armor.

Triss
Coy

Post by Triss » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:24 am

So as it stands if they go with the voting order of things?

Foxes, Tigers/Rabits, Squirrels/Redpandas, Wolves/Horses. I'm guessing they won't 100% go with the vote (I really hope they keep the next mono-species decks unique to the old ones until we have a 'few' cycles out even if I cast my obligatory vote for otters). The variety here is pretty cool though.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I'd like to cast a suggestion if this is going to be like tanglebrook (or a return to tanglebrook) Instead of doing a TB6 again where the entire set is almost 100% evenly X species that you do TB6-1 and in some of the non-deck space add a little variety for everyone to paw about, bring back a few old characters ect.

Got to Ott!
Triss

Lafitte
Mischievous

Post by Lafitte » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Voting squirrels. Honestly, they could use the support. Like, a squirrel deck used to be a big deal in this game, and I know from talking to Seppel he feels like he has to back off from squirrels and give other species a chance, but the days of the game being flooded with squirrels are kind of past. By my count the game has contained 16 squirrels, one of which being the impossible to find Seppel card. They're spread all over the genders, too, so it's not like you can use them all in the same deck, and the only thing that justifies a deck of all squirrels, the squirrel nest, has been out of print for a while and frankly was always weirdly hard to get one's hands on.

Compare that to the species in the lead, foxes, who have 32 separate cards in the game, +two fox tokens. They also had the fox den, which is also out of print. So while squirrels have been purposefully left in the wind for a while foxes have gotten literally twice the attention.

Nothing against foxes, they're just the easiest comparison, since they're the other species that used to have a card just for them but didn't get a species deck.

After squirrels, and sure, foxes (even though they haven't been neglected at all, they do sort of deserve their own deck) I'd love to see a more exotic species get their due! Bats would be cool, and red pandas are amazing, and bears and like half these other critters... but making a deck of elephants or something would be really exciting!
Yarrr and stuff

PrinceAlarming
Coy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:48 pm

How about a deck revolving around the 12 animals of the Chinese Zodiac :D

Seppel
Site Admin

Post by Seppel » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 pm

The Indians, Mayans, Chinese, Egyptians, Greek, and Romans (among others), all have some ancient form of Zodiac, and it all appears to have been started sometime around/in Babylonia. Of course, now we also have Western interpretations of the Zodiac. To say that it's only related to Asian history (even if it ultimately was founded in an Asian area) is limiting to our creative development.

We've decided that if we do a Zodiac, we will create our own, to match the flavor of the world we've created. :)
:tanrare: Seppel

PrinceAlarming
Coy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Wow, you know a lot more about this than I do, now I have some research to do on all of that just out of curiosity.

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:57 pm

You know, it occurs to me that this survey was done just about long enough ago that Climax would probably have been in an early stage of development. Of course, from the announcements, the Tanglebrook and Vanilla duel decks seem to be centered on characters whose species has already been established, but there would be a lot of room to introduce new characters to accompany Lady Ahla, Talgurin, Sikaah, and Kuushik, and they could easily be any species....

It would have seemed to me that the biggest problem with basing decks around the Chinese zodiac would probably be that, with the cards split up among 12 species, there wouldn't be enough room to do much with any of them, but given how much animals are symbolically associated with certain personality types in furry fandom (and in folklore throughout the entire world, really,) I think there's actually a lot that could be done with creating an original zodiac.

PrinceAlarming
Coy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:07 pm

You certainly have a point about the Vanilla deck being based around established characters. I'm fairly new to the game and most of the decks I own are Vanilla because the setting of these decks appealed to me the most.

rainbowdashbrony1
Voyeur

Post by rainbowdashbrony1 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:08 pm

:h: Hippos, D-hole, Tapir and last Tanuki. :ap:
[c][/c]

madmanchrispogo
Voyeur

Post by madmanchrispogo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:26 pm

sadly after the print and play set there will be no more cards :(