What is the most cost-effective way to buy cards?

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
Astrid Varelse
Charmer

What is the most cost-effective way to buy cards?

Post by Astrid Varelse » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:36 pm

I'm trying to collect a fair amount of Furoticon cards, but I want to get cards at the best bang for the buck...

Currently I've looked mostly at the pricing of the latest cards from Caramel, but any feedback for other sets are greatly appreciated, please note that I'd like to avoid cards with old borders, such as [c]Abducted[/c] and [c]Aleu Moonshadow[/c], also I'm not interested in miss-prints or noticeably damaged cards.

After doing my own research on the official pricing, I've come to the conclusion that the various bundles are worthless for those who are purely interested in obtaining cards. (Excluding "Bronze Tier - The Winter Starter Set", which does save $5 on purely cards)

For example, the card value in "Golden Tier - The Complete College Box!" is only $195 of it's $250 price due to, playmats, dice packs, and the collectors box.

Any tips and tricks for navigating the Furoticon economy would be greatly appreciated!
Talk about Furoticon on Discord!

Also, visit my trading thread

KeatonDawner
Tease

Re: What is the most cost-effective way to buy cards?

Post by KeatonDawner » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:36 pm

If you're looking at buying JUST cards, while saving money...Try out the on-site currency "Furos" In larger amounts, you can get free bonus furos which is basically like them giving you free money for cards :p Then you can spend it on anything on the websites store. Boosters, starters, bundles, Tiered packs etc. As far as avoiding the "old bordered" cards...they're WAAAY outta print and only available through singles purchases or trades with other forum traders

Hope that helps!

polkakitty
Charmer

Post by polkakitty » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Yeah, the bundles save some money if you were going to get the playmats and extras anyway, but if not, you can safely ignore them. They aren't necessary in order to get all of the actual cards.

If you're going to make your first purchase, I think you really have to buy a starter deck of whatever gender(s) you want to play, to ensure that you have enough resource cards for your deck to work. You should be aware, though, that there are actually two different kinds of starter decks. The starter decks for the Caramel, Strawberry, and Di'Ahla's Awakening sets ("College" and "Bondage" tabs in the shop) actually contain 2 decks that are half the size that's normally used, with 20 cards each (4 20-card decks in the case of Strawberry,) whereas the starter decks for the Tribes of Tanglebrook and Fortune at Vell's End sets ("Tribal" and "Fantasy" tabs) are each a full-sized deck with 40 cards. The minideck sets are good to get if you don't know anyone who already plays, since you'll have ready-made decks for 2 or 4 players without them having to do anything. However, if you're playing with people who have already been playing Furoticon for a while, they're not going to need any help from you to set up their decks, and will want to play with full-size decks, so you'd be better off getting one of the Tanglebrook or Fortune starters.

Also, unlike some earlier sets, there aren't any cards in Caramel that are exclusively found in starter decks, so there's not much of a point to getting more than 1 of the same starter deck. You should just get boosters after that.

Something else you should be aware of is that, in addition to the standard booster packs, a few months after each set is released, they will generally start offering big booster packs, which cost as much as several of the regular boosters, but contain substantially more rares. The regular booster packs are $5 for 1 rare, 2 uncommons, 6 commons, and 1 Home Haven (your basic resource cards, like Basic Lands or Energy or whatever.) The commons and uncommons don't seem to ever be the same (I've been playing since the first set and I've never seen two of the same card in a pack,) so you could consider them to cost you $0.56 per unique non-Home Haven card or $5.00 per rare. The exact price and contents of big boosters have varied between sets, but the last time they were released for a mini-set (Di'Ahla's Awakening,) they were $35 for 10 rares and 10 uncommons, meaning that they're $1.75 per unique non-Home Haven card or $3.50 per rare.

This means that, when you're starting to collect a given set, you actually want to only buy regular booster packs, since they're the most efficient way of getting as many different cards as possible. However, when you already have most of the cards in a set, and the only ones you're still missing are rares, with maybe a few uncommons, big boosters become a much better deal. And if there's only one or a few cards you need, to complete a set or just for a new deck concept you want to try out, try looking for them on the trading forum (and you can also sell cards you don't need there for Furos to help complete your collection.)

Astrid Varelse
Charmer

Post by Astrid Varelse » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:56 pm

Just so you know I currently own 2 starter decks, Adventure Time, and Grand Conductors from Fortune at Vell's End.

Huge thanks for the Furos tip, So the best deals are $200 & $500 Furos packs valued at 12.5 additional Furos per dollar. (Buy 8 boosters get 1 free) [But only if you spend denominations of $200 or $500]

Guess I'd better hold off until I can snag a $200 Furos pack... 40+5 boosters. 45 Rares, 90 Uncommons, 270 commons, and 45 Home Havens...

I sort of regret my starter choice because I don't have next to no Otherkind cards, (I should've gotten Strength in Fellowship, and Glutton's Paradise) so in the off chance I need extra Home Havens, is there a way to purchase havens? Or would it be best to just buy a starter deck with the Haven type I need?
Talk about Furoticon on Discord!

Also, visit my trading thread

Tegome
Endowed

Post by Tegome » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:11 pm

There's a Home Haven pack in the Tanglebrook/Tribal section of the store, that gets you 24 Home Havens (6 of each) for $6.
im in ur furry gaem misplacin ur cardz
Official Furoticon Developer, Playtester, Tease