Chosing a Starter

For discussion of anything to do with Furoticon.
Cheetahfurry
Coy

Chosing a Starter

Post by Cheetahfurry » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:12 am

Greetings!

So I am rather new to this but love CCG's. I have looked over everything and was thinking of getting a starter. The problem is there are a lot of them with a lot of different systems. I have looked over all of the decks and I was curous which is a good starter? These are the ones I have considered.

Di'Ahla's Awakening
Female 2-player Deckbox - Pain and Pleasure: The pain tokens seems neat to lower the PE of the opponant and then use machocist furs to raise your own. They do not seems to have a lot of health and PE but a lot of them can raise it quickly wit tokens and lower the enemies so it does not matter. This seems a little more finess and playing the cards right vs swinging all out.

Tribes of Tanglebrook
M/F Starter Deck - Otters of Tanglebrook: The otters art is amazing. They have a lot of health so they look fun. Not sure if they are a good deck to run only otters.
F/H/O Starter Deck - Dragons of Tanglebrook: Love the art as well. I know very little about deck.

3rd Strawberry:
4-player Deckbox - Welcome Freshmen: I like the Mini-female deck it seems rather strong. They have a lot of high health furs that do some good damage. Not sure but I did see something in the fourms about some of this cards making games longer.

What do you think a good starter would be? I am torn between all of them and if I make a deck I want a single theme. I like keeping everything together instead of mixing sets. Any hints would be awesome. What are you experances.

Seppel
Site Admin

Re: Chosing a Starter

Post by Seppel » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:31 pm

To elucidate on the dragon deck -- it's a combo deck. All your dragons hibernate for a couple of turns, then suddenly they wake up and chain reactions go off everywhere!

Also, dragons have huge... stats. ;)
:tanrare: Seppel

Drex
Charmer

Post by Drex » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:42 pm

I personally like the pain and pleasure theme in Furo. It's a fun mechanic, probably my favorite mechanic in the game.

Just so you know, the deck boxes are meant to make 2 mini decks and 4 mini decks for 2-4 people to play with. So if you are wanting to stick with only one style and improve on that style, I wouldn't suggest any of the mini deck ones because you'll eventually want a 40 card deck anyway if you take the game more seriously. That means you'll have to pick up 20 more cards for the deck while a starter deck just has all 40 ready to go and you can just change out a few here and there for preference.

All that said, the mini decks aren't bad or anything, just wanted to make sure you knew you'd have to add 20 more cards eventually.

The only deck in your list I don't personally like is the dragon deck. Mostly it's just not my cup of tea. I always avoid 3 gender decks because I've found it hard enough to work with 2 genders as it is.

The otter deck is pretty good. The otter play style is neat. They have a lot of health regen abilities that let them last longer. They also have abilities if they have full stamina vs not full. So there's a lot of variety to be found in otters.

Really though, I don't find any of the starter decks to be super weak. Although I haven't tried any of the starters from the most recent two sets. So it'd be more about what you're in to. What sort of play style you're looking for.

From what I've read you are looking for lasting power and high stamina. Of the ones you chose, I think otters are probably the best at that. They don't all have high stamina, but as I said, they can regain their stamina back in a variety of ways. Running only otters is fine because that entire set was based on "tribes" and otters were one of the tribes. So there are lots of otters in that set that work very well together. It's at least a good intro in to the game before you start trying to make a second deck. You also don't have to only focus on getting otters in the deck. Just because some cards don't gain the otter specific benefits doesn't mean you can't add them and have them work well with the deck. ^^
I'm that otter that hates fish and swimming. ^^

Cheetahfurry
Coy

Post by Cheetahfurry » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:35 pm

I did like the mechanic of the pain and pleasure deck but I really liked the art of the Otter deck.

If I went pain and pleasure what cards would you suggest? Should I get the deck then like 10 packs?

Can I mix the decks and make a pain and pleasure otter deck that helps the masochists last longer to get stronger?

What do you run for a deck?

PS Favorite card http://furoticon.com/viewcard.php?c=594

blizleopard
Tease

Post by blizleopard » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:24 pm

I honestly got started because a couple of friends of mine at Rainfurrest got me to sign up for the booster draft tournament.

So... I started with no starter, and I still had fun doing it. But of all the card types I've run into so far, it's a real toss-up between Tribes of Tanglebrook and Fortune at Vell's End.

The card spoiler I've found is a MASSIVELY useful tool for anyone who wants to do any sort of deck design because it will allow you to see a breakdown list of the cards and compare them against each other.

If I was going to have to choose a starter, I would have gone with Wolves of Tanglebrook, since it's more to my play style.

Drex
Charmer

Post by Drex » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:14 pm

A lot of people buy decks simply because they like the art of it, so there's nothing wrong with that! ^^

As for Pain and Pleasure, there are only two sets in the game that have the pain mechanic in them. The first one was Triskelion and the second is Di'Ahla's Awakening which is where the pain and pleasure deck comes from. Unfortunately, all of Triskelion is sold out and they are not reprinting sets. Once they are sold out, they're gone. Some cards make repeat appearances in other sets though. That's not to say you can't make an awesome pain deck out of strictly Di'Ahla cards though. I'm just letting you know so if you decide to get boosters, you might want to stick with that set.

All sets are interchangeable and you can mix and match however you like. So it's not a big deal if you want to get other boosters, just know they won't have the Sadist/Masochist effects that the pain deck uses. If you're really dedicated, you can try the trading section of the forums. There are some people really devoted to selling Furo cards there and they most likely have cards from Trisk. The set itself isn't super rare, it's just not being sold anymore, so it's not really hard to find cards in the set if you trade with others.

As for mixing the two decks together, you probably can. I haven't tried it honestly, so I wouldn't know how well a deck of those two mixed would work. Boosters are always a good option though. You buy enough boosters and you'll eventually get a deck that's good.

As for what I run, I haven't played in a while honestly, and I sold all my cards. That said the personal decks I built was:

Greedy Rush
This is my favorite and was the deck I used when I did constructed. It is very powerful (some would say broken) but it has been beat. This is a male deck that focuses on the ability Greedy. It uses action cards to temporarily buff the fur's PEs and then swing to deal massive pleasure directly to the player because of Greedy's effect.

I also built a deck that was actually called Pain and Pleasure lol. It wasn't anything like the starter deck though. It used pain counters to give ammunition for the ability of the fur [card]Slums Drunk[/card]. His ability let you choose a fur to pleasure for 5 as long as you had a pain counter. So I would build pain counters on my own furs, and use his ability. It may not seem great at first, but then I combined it with [card]Everthrob[/card]. With this combo, I could take out any fur in 1 shot using Slums Drunk while he just sat safely in the back. Also for good measure I threw in [card]Public Humiliation[/card] which was basically a board wipe for the other player if Everthrob was out.

That deck was really fun, but not very good. It very rarely worked because the conditions had to be perfect. When those condition were perfect though...man was it fun. XD

Cheetahfurry
Coy

Post by Cheetahfurry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:21 am

Well looks like I am going otters. I am thinking 15 boosters + the otter starter. Anyone Skype? I would not mind playing some games once I get the cards.

Drex
Charmer

Post by Drex » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:53 pm

There's a few threads floating around in the Furoticon Discussion topic asking about Skype games. I'm sure you could find someone willing to play you. ^^

Cheetahfurry
Coy

Post by Cheetahfurry » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:28 am

I ordered the otter deck today! Can't wait to get it in the mail.